Today I have the honor of interviewing one of my original mentors on my own journey to wellness. Mark Sisson is the founder of MarksDailyApple.com, a mainstay of the paleo community, and the author of The Primal Blueprint and now The Keto Reset Diet. Mark’s ideas shaped my decision to learn to eat mindfully, ditch the sugar and grains, and appreciate food in a whole new way.
I find Mark Sisson such a balanced voice of reason in the health world. For Mark, healthy eating isn’t restrictive or limited. It’s all about exploring and savoring the tastiest, best foods that make you feel like a million bucks!
Here are a few “Markisms” that I’ve gotten out of reading his books and blog:
- All calories are not created equal.
- Only eat when you’re hungry.
- If you don’t enjoy it, don’t eat it … even if it’s healthy!
Sounds like a great approach to me!
The Keto Reset Diet: What It Is (and What It’s Not)
I get a ton of questions on the ketogenic diet and there seems to be a lot of confusion about what it actually is. Mark’s book cuts to the chase and answers all of these questions and more.
First, what keto is not: It’s not the Atkins diet, and it’s not about eating your weight in bacon and cheese! (Sorry!)
A ketogenic diet is about allowing the body to burn fat for fuel instead of relying on a steady incoming stream of glucose (i.e., snacks and constant meals).
Mark’s Keto Reset Diet in particular helps restore the body to its “factory settings” so to speak … putting unhealthy food cravings to rest and opening up a new world where food, mind, and body are working together in a healthy fat-burning synergy.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- how to turn your body into a lean, mean, fat-burning machine
- why keto is really about fueling and feeding the body… not ruling out a food group
- why Mark has just coffee for breakfast (and it’s not bulletproof coffee either!)
- what “Keto” really means, and how it differs from ketosis
- how eating low carb and high fat retrains the body-brain connection
- Mark’s take on how people are doing keto “wrong” (and a better way to do it)
- just how much energy (calories) the body can make without eating
- the role of glycogen in exercise (and why Mark works out while fasting)
- why 3 square meals a day (plus snacks) might not be the healthiest way to eat
- what Mark himself eats daily … and how he enjoys every bite!
- the famous “big ass salad” that is the cornerstone of Mark’s diet, and how to make it
- why eating grains for breakfast is the worst thing you can do
- how to stay in the “Keto Zone” (without worrying about every little food choice)
- why healthy eating doesn’t have to be restrictive
- how Primal Kitchen is changing the food landscape
- the benefits of intermittent fasting
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Mark’s Daily Apple
Mark Sisson, The Keto Reset Diet: Reboot Your Metabolism in 21 Days and Burn Fat Forever (2017)
From Primal Kitchen:
Use the code WELLNESSMAMA to get 10% off any order
p.s. The Chipotle Lime Mayo is a must-try!
From Wellness Mama:
Can Skipping Meals Make You Healthier?
Natural Wine: How to Get the Benefits (Without the Downsides)
How to Improve Your Sleep Naturally
From Mark’s Daily Apple:
Mark’s Big Ass Keto Salad
How the Keto Reset Fits into the Primal Blueprint
Reasons Why Low Carb Diets Actually Work
Why Grains Are Unhealthy
Is Constant Ketosis Necessary or Even Desirable?
Keto Side Effects
The Definitive Guide to Sleep
The Paleo Thyroid Solution by Elle Russ
Have you experimented with a ketogenic diet? How did you feel? Will you try the Keto Reset Diet? Please share!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic. You’ve heard me talk about Four Sigmatic before because I love their coffees, teas, and hot chocolates. These are not ordinary drinks. They’re delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa, and adaptogen herbs, now with the benefits of Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lion’s Mane for an extra brain boost and clean energy. My long time favorite is their instant coffee but lately I’ve also really been enjoying their caffeine free blends. Try out all of these delicious drinks at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and make sure to use the code WELLNESSMAMA to get 15% off of your order.
This podcast is also brought to you by Morrocco Method Hair Care. You’ve probably heard me talk about them before, but these natural hair care products turn regular hair care on its head, pun intended. Instead of harsh detergents to strip away the hairs natural oils and artificial fragrances and dyes that can harm your hair and scalp over time, they use nourishing ingredients that actually feed the hair and scalp. They promote hair growth and healthy oil production. And for me, they have led to stronger hair. I’m especially fond of their new dry shampoo, which is similar to the DIY recipe that I’ve made forever, but it has some fun added beneficial ingredients. You can check out all of their products at wellnessmama.com/go/mm and make sure to save 15% with the discount code WM2017.